Saturday, April 7, 2012

Hear silence here

Normally I listen to music as I write. Not this time. It’s silent here, hear.

I sit at my debris-smothered desk surrounded by four off-white walls. I can’t help but gently sway in my old, blue, uncomfortable office chair that I got for free because somebody no longer needed it or wanted it – need and want are two very different things and I’d like you to make a note of that.

I sway with the calm waters of the captain’s boat. The chair, I need – the sway, I want. This is a reality and a choice.

But none of that matters. Why did I call you here? That’s all that matters. “Write now,” said Myself.

The wall in front of me is blank. Well, that’s not true. There’s a Jake “the Snake” Roberts action figure mint-in-package staring into my eyes. And, above and to the corner, hanging from the ceiling, there’s a fake plant with fake white flowers in a fake brass pot that was left here by the previous tenant. I never bothered taking it down. Why should I? Give me one reason.

When I write, I worry the reader (that’s you) will get bored and leave. So, I put myself in the reader’s chair and reassure myself, as I read my own work, this is exactly what you’re looking for – but it’s not.

I sway.

The true gift would be it’s not what you’re looking for at all. But despite this harsh reality, you choose to read on. You read on and realize, finding what you’re looking for – what you want – is overrated.

Getting what you want means no surprises, no twists, no lessons – and ultimately no need. I’d like you to make a note of that.

So even though the music is silent, you've heard what I've had to say.

Enjoy this moment – it’s the only one you have. Write now. Or, forever hold your piece.

iPod 002

No comments:

Post a Comment